Trying to Use Intiface with Faptap.net Over Wifi. How do I make Intiface use a Secure web socket (wss) instead of ws?

As discussed in the title, I am trying to get Faptap.net to connect to Intiface over my home LAN. I enabled “Listen on all network interfaces”, but the site will not connect because the site uses Https and therefore does will not connect to an “Unsecured” web socket. Any tips?

We unfortunately don’t really have a great solution for mixed content issues like this yet.

I use to pack a self-signed cert in with our system to handle wss, but explaining how to support that was a nightmare. It might be possible to set up something external to intiface to proxy, but I’m not sure I want to build that in directly again.

Often when this question comes up, it’s usually because FapTap is being used on mobile platforms, and Intiface “didn’t” have mobile support. This might not be relevant to the problem you’re trying to solve, but now that Intiface is available on both iOS and Android, you may be able to use FapTap with Intiface with just your phone.

A workaround for this is to use a SSH client on the same device as the browser to create a port forward to whatever you’re trying to connect to. The browser still connects to “ws://localhost:12345”, but everything gets sent to the correct device.

I am facing this issue too when trying to use intiface on Quest 2 headset.

I have since sideloaded the app onto the quest headset but have issues with the app closing when opening a video in full VR mode from the web browser.

Is there a way to keep the app from closing when entering VR mode?

Sorry, just seeing this now. Apparently there is not a way to run apps in the background on the quest, so at this point, intiface on quest is mostly just a stunt. I’d recommend running it on a phone and having the quest connect out to that.

Hi there
I managed to get this working based on the above ideas by doing the following:

1. install and connect to intiface central on my phone, take note of the server address
  2. sideload (follow whatever guide you need) termux on my quest device, you can get the apk here: https://github.com/termux/termux-app/releases/download/v0.118.1/termux-app_v0.118.1+github-debug_arm64-v8a.apk
  3. open termux on the quest device
  4. install socat by typing the following without quotes “pkg install socat” (if it asks to confirm type y and hit enter) (i noticed that there were some issues with typing not rendering correctly in termux until you hit enter, just make sure you type it correctly I guess?)
  5. setup a tunnel using the following without quotes “socat tcp-listen:12345,reuseaddr,fork tcp:INTIFACE”, replace the INTIFACE with the IP:port combo shown in intiface from step 1 (likely something like 192.168.1.100:12345)
  6. switch to your browser, go to faptap and connect to intiface with the default address (ws://localhost:12345)
  7. if you need to connect again at a later point, you can resume from step 5 (assuming intiface is up and running too)

Hahaha ok this is brilliant. I hadn’t considered socat’ing from the headset, but that’s completely viable!